BOROCHAT

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: WATN -Carlisle by TucksToday 17:35Today at 17:35:10view thread

Oldest article: Turbo boost for the club this summer by WASP22/4 19:28Mon Apr 22 19:28:20 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: New Stevenage Football Archive website launched by SFA22/8 18:15Thu Aug 22 18:15:17 2024view thread

Our strikers

By Chuds20/8 22:51Tue Aug 20 22:51:08 2024

Views: 1768

I am intrigued. If all fit, in what order would you rank them?

For me:

Reid
Appere
Simpson
Pressley
List.

I do rate Simpson, and think he has the most potential of them all, and almost had him in second, but right now I am going with that. Almost swapped List and Pressley as well, but perhaps recency bias swung that one. Although it isn't so recent as List hasn't done much for whatever reasons over the past few years. Very much like Roberts is starting to be. Am so glad we signed Kemp so he can play instead.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Our strikers

By Sludgy6522/8 13:21Thu Aug 22 13:21:08 2024In response to Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 583

For me, Simpson doesn't put himself about enough, for a guy of his size. He needs to let the defender know he's in a game. Just needs to be stronger, both on and off the ball. Although admittedly it doesn't help if he hasn't got players close to him when in possession. Appere always seems to want to go 'long' rather than coming short. and laying it off.
As others have sais, List 'could' be a decent striker if he can start finishing the easier chances. Pressley is just a target man to work off, as I dont see him as ever being a 'goal scorer' of any note unfortunately. I would help if we actually got more quality crosses into the box!!

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)22/8 13:45Thu Aug 22 13:45:42 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 573

Plenty of crosses from set pieces but they are all going to Pidge, Goode or Sweeney.

By worrier21/8 17:49Wed Aug 21 17:49:14 2024In response to Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 845

At the moment

1 - Appere - Showed against Huddesfield that he likes to use the channels to create space and chances
2 - Simpson - His style of play is act as a hitman and lay it off to the other two front men
3 - Reid - Not played in any PSF, so needs to be slowly brought into the first team from end of August
4 - List - will be good of the bench against tiring defenses, like last year
6 - Young U23 on loan till Jan
5 - Pressley - Still to find out his capabilities cos he keeps getting injured

From October

1 - Reid - fully fit
2 - Appere
3 - Simpson
4 - Young U23 premiership
5 - List
6 - Pressley (Loaned out in Jan)

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))22/8 10:42Thu Aug 22 10:42:52 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 610

Appere is better than Reid on the strength of a 6.5/10 half last Saturday????!?!?? Ye Gods

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)21/8 19:01Wed Aug 21 19:01:35 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 1153

Who is Young? Did he feature pre-season?

By RockyBottom21/8 14:06Wed Aug 21 14:06:34 2024In response to Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 1139

List has been destroyed by his injuries it seems.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)21/8 17:23Wed Aug 21 17:23:11 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 907

It's just confidence. Hopefully.itll.come back.

You dont get to our level as a player without being reasonably talented and very, very committed.

Maybe a sports psychologist?

By Tucks21/8 17:50Wed Aug 21 17:50:45 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 818

Aside from the bit where he’s missing sitters this is probably the best version of List we’ve seen. Maybe beside a purple patch when we were in the League Two doldrums.

It’s Rashford-itis. Does all the hard work then has a chance to think and capitulates. He can definitely overcome it. I hope he does for all involved. I thought he should have gone this summer if not before, I love it when a player proves me wrong and kicks on for us.

4 people like this 4 people

By BasingstokeBoro22/8 16:19Thu Aug 22 16:19:36 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 531

List looked pretty good on the ball on Tuesday (albeit against under 21s). Plenty of good touches, control and a desire to take players on when the opportunity arises.

His finishing however leaves a lot to be desired!

With all the players fit though, I can't see him making the starting XI

1 person likes this 1 person

By Sev22/8 19:07Thu Aug 22 19:07:21 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 485

Physically he looks back to his best. He just needs to get over this psychological issue that means he has zero confidence in front of goal and as consequence missing easy chances from overthinking or hesitation etc.

By MerseyBoro (BrummieBoro)22/8 16:28Thu Aug 22 16:28:38 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 530

He's realistically the backup/rotation option for Reid for playing alongside one of the target men.

Hopefully it's a confidence thing, especially as it's his first decent run of games for quite a long time.

By Tucks22/8 17:02Thu Aug 22 17:02:02 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 515

It depends on the system we decide to play, which could change when Reid comes back granted. As a side note it’s great to be thinking of a flexible approach to systems under Revs as manager.

As it is, if we play a 4-3-3 of sorts List is probably one of the first names on the team sheet as the inside forward on the left. Kemp being first choice on the right.

By RockyBottom21/8 20:40Wed Aug 21 20:40:38 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 1023

Before he got injured he was such a handful. Lighting quick and clinical. Just doesn't seem like the same player to me.

By jayess21/8 10:04Wed Aug 21 10:04:03 2024In response to Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 1122

I'm looking forward to seeing Appere and Reid play together. Nothing was sticking up top on Saturday until Appere came on, then his movement changed the game (almost). Simpson is a beast, but the jury is still out for me.
It just might be Pressley's breakthrough season.
List remains as frustrating as he has always been, and I'm surprised he is still here. Superb move with Appere on Saturday...and then misses an absolute sitter. He has devastating pace but disappears for long periods, and has an infuriating habit of drifting offside.
Not sure what to make of Roberts either. Occasional flashes of brilliance, but gives the ball away too often and has a habit of becoming obsessed with trying to win, or give way, free kicks.
We will need goals from all over this season and I expect the combination of Pidge/Goode (who has always scored goals) and White's set piece delivery to be crucial.

1 person likes this 1 person

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)21/8 11:21Wed Aug 21 11:21:43 2024In response to Re: Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 946

Re Reid no real news as to when he will be back , other than than will be out Aug at least plus then will not be match fit anyway.Plus I would not class Roberts as a striker but attacking midfielder.So feel so feel we may need a loan in.In Revs interview last night he commented on their players so maybe something happening in the background.

By Owen B21/8 07:42Wed Aug 21 07:42:43 2024In response to Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 1466

I'd have List above Pressley. He gets into some great positions, his finishing has just been a bit shit recently. If he sorts his finishing out, he could score 10-15, which would be useful.

2 people like this 2 people

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)21/8 07:39Wed Aug 21 07:39:51 2024In response to Our strikersTop of thread

Views: 1105

Be surprised if we do not get a loan striker in at least to Jan,

Previous thread: 🎙️SFC POD: Match Preview - Burton v BORO by Boromatt22/8 11:04Thu Aug 22 11:04:00 2024view thread